Spice up your collection with these everyday ‘basics.’
If you were to take a peek into my closet, you’d see the same old thing over and over: a mundane white tee, several pairs of black leggings, a denim jacket, and more of your everyday basics that, at this point, are taking over the closet. While basics are crucial to building a great closet, they are meant to be supplemental pieces instead of your entire look.
That’s why we’ve put together a list of not-so-basic styles that’ll add interest back into your wardrobe. You never know; these styles could potentially become your new everyday staples.
1. Cropped denim jacket. While your old denim jacket may have had some good outings, it’s time to switch it up with something more exciting. A cropped denim jacket is a great piece since it’ll modernize (or retro-ize) your style, while also defining your waistline. Better yet, you can even wear it as a top (look at you, trendsetter).
2. Paperbag waist denim shorts. As the weather gets warmer and summer draws closer, we start to look for our denim shorts which are seemingly lost somewhere in the back of a drawer. Don’t bother looking this year; try out a more fun take on the denim short. Paperbag waist bottoms are another tribute to the past, but keep it up-to-date with these high-rise cuffed denim shorts. While straight cut from the front, they become eye-catching from the back with its scrunched waistline. Not so basic around here!
3. Your new ‘white tee.’ Well..it’s not white. Replace your go-to white shirt with a colored, structured button down. It can be paired with the same amount of outfits, but it’ll add more color and vibrancy to your outfit. Wear it open, buttoned, cropped - your choices are limitless with this style. You’ll be wearing it so much it’ll become your new favorite tee.
4. Patterned slip dress. Now we all know slip dresses are a great item to have in your closet, but instead of wearing the same old neutral silk, find one with an appealing pattern to add fun back into your look. Small, abstract patterns have become a huge trend for spring and summer. Stay ahead of it while looking cute, and casual.
5. White top and jeans? Ah the age old white top and jeans look. This is the type of go-to outfit when you’re running late and realize you have nothing to wear. Replace your boring white shirt with a peasant blouse, full of elegant frills and ruffles. This lightweight top adds breeze to your ensemble and will be your new “I have nothing to wear” look, assembled with jeans of course.
6. Chiffon ruffled skirt. Going back to the notion of patterns, it’s one of the easiest ways to brighten up a dull wardrobe. This chiffon skirt has all the bells and whistles: it’s patterned, brightly colored, and has a striking waistline. The perfect bottom for a long summer day.
7. The not-so-unnoticeable dress. Stand out from the crowd with this floral print dress. Maybe even throw on that cropped denim jacket while you’re at it.
8. Colored jacket. While we still have time in the season to be layering, switch up the usual pairings with a colored blazer. It captures sophistication while still keeping things easy going.
Which piece was your favorite? Tell us in the comments below!
Stay safe & healthy.