While we are all staying at home to avoid risk of exposure or potentially spreading the virus, we can’t help but have a little sense of cabin fever being stuck at home. Being quarantined has been anything but simple and it seemingly isn’t going to end any time soon. With all of the extra time we have at home, here’s five ways to stay sane while staying inside.
1. Find a new hobby. “There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people,” said G.K. Chesterton (the English writer and philosopher). Boredom keeps us unmotivated as the days begin to blend together and time seems so slow. Finding a new hobby is a great way to keep us out of that funk, while also doing something we enjoy. Whether it is painting, sitting down to write again, or even starting an Instagram page for your dog, this is the time to find a hobby you can continue even after the quarantine is over.
2. Plan virtual calls with friends and family. Just because you are stuck at home, does not mean you can no longer ‘visit’ with friends and family. Plan virtual dates through platforms such as Skype or Zoom to keep in touch with everyone. Maybe you can host game nights with your siblings or a wine date with your girlfriends; doing so will keep us socially distanced but not unsociable.
3. Get your business online. If this quarantine has affected you in unimaginable ways and has caused you to close your storefront, this is the time to switch things up. Your business does not have to stop; discover new channels such as taking your business online. Create an online store or host Facebook Live sessions so your customers can still purchase from you and stay connected. Need help getting started? Check out our tips for starting your online business here.
4. Finish an unfinished task. This is the perfect opportunity to finish something we have been putting off. That something could be filing your taxes, hanging up those paintings in your apartment that have been collecting dust, or even finishing the book that has been sitting on the shelf. No matter how small or big this task is, any attempt of finishing it is a major mood booster. But do not become overwhelmed by seeing so many people talk about being productive; the point is to use this time in a way that is beneficial for you.
5. Enjoy this time with your family. Lastly, but most importantly, is to enjoy being at home with your family. We spend too much time worrying about how bored we are becoming or that we are going stir crazy at home, when this is the occasion we should be utilizing to build better relationships with those around us. Cook a romantic meal with your spouse, play board games with your kids, or just chill with your dog on the couch (hey, they’re family too!). We will never get the same situation in our lifetime. This is a once in a lifetime moment; use it wisely and purposefully.
Stay safe & healthy.